On June 18, 2020, the Moscow Museum of Cosmonautics together with art practice ARTYPICAL start an open-call for participation in the international Space Art Summer School. This is a laboratory project for creative research of archives and visual culture related to contemporary ideas about space and the history of space exploration. The school will operate in an online format from July 27, 2020 to August 31, 2020.
Participation in the school is free. Applications are accepted from June 18 to July 5, 2020.
Who can participate?
The international summer school invites musicians, artists, researchers, and technologists from around the world to create new sound and visual works across disciplines, from 3D animation and digital sculpture to new literature and music production.
The following topics will be presented in the program of the Space Art Summer School:
- Space in cinematography and visual art
- Space in the work of music composers
- Sonification and audification of the cosmos and astronomy
- Media art in outer space
- Media archeology of space
- Philosophy of space and Russian cosmism
- Iconographies of human spaceflight
- ...and more
The co-hosts of the Space Art Summer School:
- Natalia Fuchs, international curator, new media researcher, and art critic (Russia)
- Peter Kirn, creative technologist, musician, and journalist (USA/Germany).
The presenting team will also include invited experts from the field of modern culture, space technology, and international institutions related to space exploration.
Space Art Summer School timeline:
- Open call for applications: June 18 to July 5, 2020.
- Selection of participants announced: July 16, 2020.
- The summer school (online) is held weekly on Mondays from July 27, 2020 to August 31, 2020.
- The school’s public program (offline) will be presented in the space of the Museum of Cosmonautics and at partner sites in 2020-2021.
How to join?
Participation at the school is free for participants. An application is required for participation, including a motivation letter and a portfolio (in Russian and English) by 23:59 Moscow time July 5, 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org. The best projects created within the school may receive support for implementation in the framework of joint public programs (exhibition and performative).